Used Brown Leather Motorcycle Jackets
We talked to Jason Schott about growing up cool, working hard, and the ten things he can't live without.
You probably know more about New York City's century old leather maker, Schott NYC, than you think. The made in the USA brand has an impressive and star-studded history. They're the company that invented the motorcycle jacket and were the first to put a zipper in a jacket—ever. You've seen their leather jackets on Mick Jagger, James Dean, Bruce Springsteen, The Ramones and Marlon Brando. Brando's jacket in the movie The Wild One caused public schools to ban the things, making them objects of desire to teens in revolt across America.
Schott NYC started in 1913, selling fur-lined raincoats door-to-door in New York City. They went on to become a major supplier to the US military, making bomber jackets for fighter pilots and gunners, the zippers in those jackets kept the gunners warm against the wind since they weren't inside a heated cockpit.
The most recent C.O.O. and fourth generation behind the reins, Jason Schott, began his career by sweeping floors and loading trucks at the family-run factory. We talked to him about growing up cool, working hard, and the ten things he can't live without.
2. Dad's Bullet Band Breitling - "This is the watch he was wearing when his plane went down. [Schott’s father passed away in a plane crash.] At this point I've worn it longer than he ever did, but it will always be his watch."
3. Grandfathers's hand made in Italy ceramic ashtray with El Rey Del Mundo Perfecto cut cigar- "When my great-grandfather, Irving Schott, started making jackets he didn't think anybody would want to buy one with his name in it so he named the elite collection after his favorite cut of cigar, Perfecto. My grandfather, Mel, always had his cigar with him and I'm excited to use his ashtray for some Cuban cigars!"
- "A cup of good black coffee is never far out of my reach, I drink at least 6 cups a day."
- "I shave as infrequently as possible, but I look forward to putting on this lotion when I'm finished."
7. RRL Jeans- "I prefer not to go anywhere where jeans aren't accepted. I happened to be working in our NYC flagship store when Ralph Lauren came in and asked to buy a vintage Perfecto we had on display. I couldn't sell it to him but I told him he could borrow it. He still wears it and we have been making jackets with RRL, my favorite collection, ever since."
9. Jeep Wrangler Sport- "It was my first car and I just bought one for my daughter for her first car, we pass many traditions down through the generations of my family."
10. Hot Sauce- "We call it scHOTt sauce around the factory because we put it on everything. The hotter the better! I had to sign a waiver when I bought this that I wouldn't use it as a prank, few people heed my warnings."